Fatima Convent Kumari Udyan Vidyalaya, Kanpur

About Fatima Convent Kumari Udyan Vidyalaya, Kanpur

The official Fatima Convent, Kanpur Facebook page. Fatima Convent affiliation by Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) Board.

Through a casual talk with Rev. Father Faustin Hugh Alva, the then, Parish Priest and the Principal of St. Francis Xavier’s Church and Junior High School, Ashoknagar, Kanpur in 1953, Sister Denis A.C. paved the way for a new foundation.
Father Alva requested His excellency Rt. Rev. Bishop Leonard Raymond to write to Mother M. Sylvia A.C. She was happy with the requisition and permitted the Sisters to go ahead with the new Convent and School.
On 8th June, 1954, the pioneers, Sister M. Dosithea A.C. and Sister M. Andrea A.C. reached Kanpur. The very next day Father Faustin Alva handed over the files of Admissions of pupils along with the class-wise list of books and stationery. Father Alva transferred 432 boys and girls along with a few teachers to Fatima Convent School.
The rush for Admissions was so great that the Sisters were compelled to start 5 sections in L.KG with 50 students in each section.
On 15th July, 1954 the school was inaugurated by Most Rev. Bishop Leonard Raymond and named it as Fatima Convent Junior High School. It was a co-ed English Medium School of 765 students from kindergarten to standard VIII. The Government of Uttar Pradesh accorded its recognition to Fatima Convent Junior High School and the school was enlisted among the recognized schools in March, 1955. The Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Dr. Sampurnanand Verma graciously presided over the inaugural function of the school hall on 10th October, 1955. The school was upgraded up to High School on 12th July, 1956.
People’s demand for a “Hindi Medium” school was honoured and the school was renamed Kumari Udyan Vidyalaya, a literal translation of “Garden of Virgins”.

In March, 1957, the first batch of Eleven girls appeared for the Board Examination. Eight girls secured first division, and they were the first eight rank holders of U.P.
Since 1965 the school was selected for U.P. Board Examination.
In Nov. 9th 1979, the Convent and School completed 25 years of its foundation and establishment.

Address & Contact

Map & Directions

View Larger Map

Join on Facebook